Mohair is the long, silky hair of the Angora goat and is one of the most versatile textile fibres. Its characteristics are similar to wool, except that it does not have the scales that can irritate the skin. Mohair has several unique properties that are not found in any other animal fibre:
- Insulating capacity – mohair fibres do not conduct heat; like wool, mohair provides good insulation, even when wet.
- Durability – mohair can be twisted and bent without damage to the fibre; it is the most durable animal fibre.
- Comfort – the smooth fibres of mohair do not irritate the skin, even for people who are sensitive to wool.
- Strength – mohair is stronger than steel of the same diameter.
- Shrink resistance – because its smooth fibres do not felt, mohair fabrics shrink much less than wool.
- Elasticity – mohair is very elastic; it can be stretched up to 30%, and will spring back to shape; mohair garments resist wrinkling, stretching, or sagging.
- Moisture transfer – mohair easily absorbs and releases moisture, moving perspiration away from the skin; it is comfortable to wear in cold and hot weather.
- Lustre – one of mohair’s most important qualities is its ability to take dye and to display brilliant colors that resist fading by time or hard wear.
- Lightweight – mohair’s smooth fibres can be made into fabrics that have a cooling effect; it is ideal for summer garments.
- Non-flammability – mohair will not burn unless it is exposed to a direct flame.
Mohair is a natural, luxurious fibre that dries well and resists shrinking. Unlike wool, Mohair has no scales. A vigorous shake will dislodge most dirt particles.
- Soak in tepid water using mild detergent recommended for washing wool.
- Gently agitate by hand to dislodge any dirt particles. Do not agitate unduly.
- Rinse in clean, cool water and spin to rid excess water. A small amount of fabric softener can be used if desired.
- Hang over a line or lay flat to dry. (Mohair dries quite quickly.) When dry, a brisk shake or brush (with a hair brush) will restore the pile.
- DO NOT TUMBLE DRY.
Your Mohair article can be dry cleaned by a reputable drycleaner.